I am very unhappy with the lack of daylight since we’ve set the clocks back. It means I need to either figure out how to take some decent looking pictures in artificial light (which I should) or cram all of my cooking into the daylight hours on the weekends.
The month of sweet potatoes continues! This gratin is a nice comfort food side dish, and the sweet potatoes put a nice twist on it. It makes a TON though, so feel free to halve the recipe if necessary.
Sweet Potato and Yukon Gold Potato Gratin
adapted from Epicurious, makes 12 servings
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 1/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, rinsed
- 1 1/2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with 2 tablespoons butter. Thinly slice all potatoes; place in prepared dish. Bring milk and next 5 ingredients to boil in medium saucepan; pour over potatoes. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Cover with foil. Bake until potatoes are tender and milk is almost absorbed, about 1 hour.