Last few days of Brussels sprout month over at Seasonal Potluck! I have to say, I never thought I’d enjoy a whole month of trying out Brussels sprouts recipes, but I have been pleasantly surprised with every recipe I’ve made. Even the Husband was loving these recipes, and he usually turns up his nose to this veggie.
This is a quick, light salad recipe. I thought the flavors went really well together, and would definitely make this again. Head on over to our Brussels sprouts recipe page for more great ideas on how to use this seasonal ingredient!
Brussels Sprout Slaw with Hazelnuts & Pomegranate, adapted from Food & Wine
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil (I substituted grape seed oil since I didn’t have hazelnut)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 10oz brussels sprouts, finely shredded
- Seeds from 1 small pomegranate (3/4 cup)
- 1 loose cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (2 ounces)
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a pie plate or small baking pan, toast the hazelnuts until the skins blister, about 15 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a clean kitchen towel and let cool slightly, then rub to remove the skins. Coarsely chop the nuts.
In a bowl, whisk the hazelnut oil with the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, lemon zest and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the shredded brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds and shaved cheese and toss well. Serve right away.