Chicken and waffles is one of those things I’ve always wanted to have out at a restaurant for breakfast, but just haven’t had the chance to try. I’m not sure why, but it’s not something that you see on breakfast menus around here too much. I have to say these restaurants are missing the boat – this stuff is delicious! This is a great twist on it too, with the “biscuit waffles”. They had this great buttery, tangy flavor that really held up next to the chicken. The peppery arugula was the perfect addition. I will definitely be making this again!
Chicken and Waffles with Arugula Salad, adapted from Breakfast for Dinner, makes 4 servings
One recipe for oven-fried chicken.
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup buttermilk
Arugula Salad with Lemon-Honey Dressing:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice (from 1/2 large lemon)
1/2 tablespoon honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups (4 ounces) arugula
1. Prepare chicken as directed.
2. For waffles, whisk together self-rising flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. With a pastry blender or fork, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until no dry flour remains.
3. Preheat a Belgian waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Scoop batter into waffle iron and cook until outside is golden brown and toasted. Repeat with remaining batter. Divide waffles among plates.
4. For the arugula salad, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, and honey in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle over arugula and toss to coat.
5. Top each waffle with a piece of chicken and arugula salad and serve.
*Self-rising flour is all-purpose flour premixed with salt and a leavener. If you don’t have any, add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and an additional 1 1/4 teaspoons salt to 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.